Mythical creatures alike in different cultures

Sasquatch

Have you noticed that every group of people, no matter how far flung in this world have myths of a lot of the same type of creatures. Take the Sasquatch, my username. There are many, many records of creatures like those we call Bigfoot. There's the Skunk Ape in Florida, Yeti in Asia, Sasquatch in the Northern parts of the US. What other mythical creatures share this distinction?

Rhonda Tharp

Metis a Libyan Goddess of the water, symbol was the snake, was thought to be carried over to Egypt - like the wadjet/udjet goddess - a winged snake goddess, shown on the pharaonic hat... also thought to have been carried over to Greece's Medusa.

Artemis

I am wondering about that similarity myself. Why do the Gods, Goddesses and creatures of the ancient world have their equivalent across cultures and continents?

Medusa

It really makes you wonder. Is this something that is carried from place to place by people who traveled to populate the new spots or did something really happen that would have accounted for the same type of characters?

Rhonda Tharp

I had looked into the reason why there are so many similarities when I was in college. I remember reading Edinger's Ego and Archetype, Neumann's Origins and History of Consciousness and a lot of Joseph Campbell. They all point to human beings' consciousness and all sharing the same capacities to create similar myths with similar themes. Concepts like birth, death, love, hate, young, old can be found all over the world because all deal with it somehow.

DLegend

What I love with these creatures is the cross-breed between man and animals. Vampires and werewolves are just two examples and there are many versions around the world but they can be similar to these two.

Nadai

In Greek myth Io was turned to a cow by Zeus. She roamed all over the world and wound up in Egypt where she became a goddess to them known as Hathor or Isis. Greeks believed that they were the founders of the world and that everything originated from them.

Nadai

It really makes you wonder. Is this something that is carried from place to place by people who traveled to populate the new spots or did something really happen that would have accounted for the same type of characters?
In one of my Anthro classes we studied tribes from remote locations in Africa and found that they have similar myths and legends as some Native American cultures. They worship the sun and believe that we come from the Earth just like the Greek myth of Ducalion and Phyrra. There was also a tribe that we studied that was similar to the Amazons.

Medusa

That is seriously odd. I would love to know the reason for this. It makes you think that there has to be a reason that all of the myths are based on reality. It would be interesting to explore these theories.

Nadai

That is seriously odd. I would love to know the reason for this. It makes you think that there has to be a reason that all of the myths are based on reality. It would be interesting to explore these theories.
Perhaps you could take up a career in Anthropology and find the answers for us.

DLegend

This is just what I'm saying on the thread that I started: http://www.mythforum.com/posts/2067/

It is highly probable that these stories or myths are true but could have been revised through time.

For me, I personally believe that humans came from just one civilization. One reason is that most ancient civilizations have pyramids.