Writing a story

fryc86

Writing a story

I just had a question. I am writing a mythology/fairy story that is set in a particular place and my characters are very closely based on mythological characters of this region. It is necessary for me to retain the characteristics and "abilities" as such of these individuals, and yet the events that they take part in throughout the story are different than what their actual myth tells about.

I don't know if that made any sense, but basically I'm wondering if it was possible to use the actual mythological creatures (names and history and all) and yet have them take part in fictional events that are not associated to their legends.

Or should I just make up new names and stories for characters who have nearly identical abilities/backgrounds of the known mythological creatures?

For example I have a very particular way that I intend the main character to die, and the background and attributes of an actual mythological character from this area fits the scenario quite well, but does not according to the legends, actually die this way. Is it taboo to adapt a mythology/fairytale character to where he/she is still essentially the same character but interacts with different people and events that are not associated with the actual myths connected to him/her.

thanks

thanks

leshy

I am also a writer of fiction, and have written a novel based on the mythology of a particular area. I have tried to stay as true to the actual lore of the region while giving my characters their own identities.

You are the writer here, so only you can decide what will be best for your book, but the advice my editor gave me was that if I were to use specific creatures or gods, etc., then it would be best to do the research and stay true to the actual lore. If you do in fact use actual beings, complete with original names, then you should really be sure to add a disclaimer to your work.

Think of how upset some would get if you wrote a book about Thor for example, with the twist that instead of having a hammer he had a magic wand.