Why the resurgence in popularity?

Isabelle

Why has there been such a resurgence in popularity with mythological figures and creatures in the past few years? Has anyone else noticed the large numbers of hollywood films being produced about mythological heroes and stories?

Sasquatch

I honestly think that they are becoming more popular because we have been moving more toward technology than spirituality. The further we get from the simple things, the more people look for things that might mean there is more to this world and the next than what they know.

Talaria

I think it has a lot to do with the media as well. So many movies are being made and the taboo is kind of waring off. I remember learning about Mythology in school and a lot of it had to be sensored. I think the internet helps because we can search for our favorite myths so much easier. I think Harry Potter's popularity struck a chord as well.

Artemis

I agree with Talaria that maybe Harry Potter's popularity had something to do with the resurgence of mythical characters. J.K. Rowlings resurrected most of them.

Rhonda Tharp

For some of us that are a little older, I'd think Star Wars may have had an impact, too. Many mythological themes are there - good/evil, son in search of father, etc. The movies were released in 1977, 1980, and 1983. I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that George Lucas' mentor - Joseph Campbell began doing his Power of Myth series/interviews with Bill Moyers soon after that...

DLegend

I agree with the notion that the growing popularity of myths is due to movies and TV shows. Even mythbusters is now very famous because of myths.

I've read an article before that movies and TV shows reflect the imagination of people. With the help of our technology today, these imagination can be made into believable things.

NothingToFear

I've long thought that the increase in popularity would cause this. People are now exposed, thanks to the internet, to things that they never would have been otherwise. We now get to learn about other faiths, and creation stories-and people find things that make a lot more sense than they were taught.

Ladyhawk

I think that no matter how advanced we get technologically, there will always be some sort of reminder that mythology is still upon us. Indeed, the internet helped a lot in letting people learn more about the myths from other cultures as well as allowing them to explore different insights from different people.