Ursa Major (Changing Bear Madien)

tater03

Ursa Major (Changing Bear Madien)

Ever hear of this Indian myth?

In this myth a girl excepts a bear as her husband. Her younger sister tell their father who in turn kills the bear. The older sister turns into a bear to get revenge. the younger sister and seven brothers try to flee their sister. The bear turns back into a girl and chases after her siblings. She eventually kills six of her brothers. The brothers flew up into the sky and became the Ursa Major.

I always liked this indian myth. What do you think?

doodlebug

It sounds vaguely familiar. I probably heard it in Girl Scouts. It is a good myth. I like the way the myths attempt to explain things that are so hard to grasp in the simplest terms.

vicki2

I remember hearing that one too. As an adult, I've often wondered if they weren't tales which made you remember the night sky and its positions. Even if it was, it worked!

vicki2

Bizarre, yes, but you certainly remember it. I think so many stories, myths and legends are like that ...stories that you remember not so much for the story itself but for the underlying message or knowledge.

jason

empty
I remember a long time ago going to a planetarium, maybe I was around 10. They told us about some of the constellations, but its been so long ago. I wish I could go again.