Urban legends from when you were a kid

WinterWitch

There are some urban legends that seem to be universal (Bloody Mary), but I'm sure there are quite a few that we all heard as kids that never became that well known. One I have always remembered is about a boy in a nearby town that wanted to go fishing, so he scooped up a bunch of baby copperheads thinking they were worms.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone remembers a story from their childhood that everyone swore was true, but no one could actually proove it?

Zecora

I always liked the one about the babysitter getting calls from a serial killer that turned out to be inside the house. So cheesy, but so scary when you're 6...

WinterWitch

I would like to hear more about that baby copperhead story.
I was about 6 years old when I was told this one. A boy wanted to go fishing so he got a shovel and dug up some worms. The creek he was going fishing at wasn't very far, so instead of putting the worms into a container, he just stuck them into the pocket of his overalls. Unfortunately, the worms were actually baby copperhead snakes. He set up his fishing pole and put his hand into his pocket to retrieve the worms and several of the baby snakes bit him. Hours later when he didn't come home for dinner, his parents went down to the creek and found him. He had turned blue from being bitten so many times and had died with the fishing pole still clutched in his hands.

It's kind of a silly story now, but it spread through kindergarten like wildfire. It also made its way through the subdivision where I lived (*cough* I may have helped a little with that).

And now....you know the rest of the story....

Myrddin

I was about 6 years old when I was told this one. A boy wanted to go fishing so he got a shovel and dug up some worms. The creek he was going fishing at wasn't very far, so instead of putting the worms into a container, he just stuck them into the pocket of his overalls. Unfortunately, the worms were actually baby copperhead snakes. He set up his fishing pole and put his hand into his pocket to retrieve the worms and several of the baby snakes bit him. Hours later when he didn't come home for dinner, his parents went down to the creek and found him. He had turned blue from being bitten so many times and had died with the fishing pole still clutched in his hands.

It's kind of a silly story now, but it spread through kindergarten like wildfire. It also made its way through the subdivision where I lived (*cough* I may have helped a little with that).

And now....you know the rest of the story....
Ooh, I like it. Maybe not the standard ghost or serial killer type urban legend, but it still has a bit of a creep factor.