Urania, muse of astronomy

atsuka

Hi there,

I have been looking for informations about Urania all over the web and in some book, but there is not many things about her..
Do any of you know something about her ?

Thanks.

Alejandro

atsuka

Thanks !! :)
And your french is good ! You make some mistakes but you're easily understandable ! :3

Thanks you for the links ! And don't worry, to read english doesn't bother me, so english articles are okay !
Unfortunately there are(/is ?) not many things on Wiki..

Thanks you really much, have a nice day !!

Myrddin

Hi there,

I have been looking for informations about Urania all over the web and in some book, but there is not many things about her..
Do any of you know something about her ?

Thanks.
I have never heard of Urania. Could you tell me about her, please? Où elle rentre dans les mythes ne?

E. M.

Caburus

Urania was a grand daughter of Uranus. Is there any significance in her bearing such a similar name to him?

Alejandro

According to Diodorus Siculus, a few poets, such as Alcman, say that the Muses are actually the daughters of Ouranos [Uranus] and Ge/Gaia. Diodorus also says that "For the name of each Muse, they say, people have found a reason appropriate to her", and then he goes on to link the name of each Muse's name meaning to the role assigned to her in the pantheon. Among the last of them he mentions Ourania [Urania] saying that she is thus named "because people who have been instructed by her she raises up to ouranos [sky, heaven], for it is a fact that imagination and the power of thought lift people’s souls to heavenly heights." And the Sky or Heaven is indeed conceived of as being the very same grandfather (or father) of the Muses: the deity Ouranos.

Alejandro

Taking it literally, though, astronomy would be the study of the Astra [Stars], who would have been Ourania's second cousins, since the Stars were the sons of the Titans Astraios and Eos, each of whom was a first cousin of Ourania's father Zeus.

Alejandro

Ooh, & there was also another granddaughter of Ouranos who was called Ourania. According to Hesiod's Theogony and the Homeric Hymn to Demeter, one of the daughters of the Titan Okeanos [Oceanus] was named Ourania. In the Theogony she is one of the eldest Okeanides [Oceanids] while in the Hymn to Demeter she is one of the childhood companions of the goddess Persephone.

Misa

It might also be interesting to you to learn that Aphrodite was sometimes titled Ourania/Urania describing her as "the heavenly," or spiritual, to distinguish her from Aphrodite Pandemos. Plato represents her as a daughter of Uranus, begotten without a mother. She might have been identified with the Muse daughter of Zeus because Hymenaeus (god of weddings, or more specifically of the wedding hymn) was said sometimes to be the son of the Muse Ourania, no father noted - which is like Aphrodite and Eros.

Among the Muses was also Erato who might be identified with "Aphrodite Pandemos", she was Muse of erotic poetry and mimic imitation and her daughter was Kleophema by Malos; Kleophema married Phlegyas who had Aigle/Koronis who was the mother of Asklepios (Asclepius) by Apollo according to Isyllus.

There was another Erato a prophetic priestess of the Arcadian Pan and wife to Arcas, the son of Kallisto (Callisto) by whom she became the mother of Elatus, Apheidas, and Azan.