Titormus?

Titormus

I really want to look up more on Titormus, but I only find one or two paragraphs on him defeating Milo and leaving society.

Other than the city he lived in I cannot find any other information about him. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Nadai

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Titormus
(Greek: Τίτορμος) was a legendary shepherd of Aetolia, famous in Antiquity for his victory over Milo of Croton, who was in turn the most successful wrestler of Ancient Olympics. The duel of Milo and Titormus, however, was not an ordinary wrestlers' competition: according to Claudius Aelianus,[1] rivals compared their strength in a wild Aetolian scenery, while lifting or throwing rocks, or catching bulls. Defeated, Milo praised his victor as "the second Heracles". Titormus, considered the strongest man ever living, was believed to inhabit the most remote parts of peripheral Aetolia.[2] From 5th century BC onwards, his legend served to strengthen Aetolia's ethnic identity.[3]
Milo received a bit more fame than Titormus...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_of_Croton
http://www.theoi.com/Text/Pausanias6A.html
It would seem that your hero isn't too famous these days. I studied Classical myth and I'd never heard of him myself. I looked him up on theoi.com and even they had never heard of him (though they do mention Milo of Croton). It could just be that he never got famous enough to have several statues built or reliefs made of himself and so records of him were lost (scholars could have found the name on the list of Olympic victors and so fudged a bit of his history...who knows). Most non-demigod heroes (those who weren't immortalized by becoming stars or becoming birds or flowers) had to just be written about or depicted in some kind of art to be remembered, that could have been the downfall with yours.
Or he could have just been a really reclusive hero. I'm sure if Hercules would have spent a little more time on his own, rather than out conquering and destroying, he wouldn't have had so much trouble (though there was, of course, always Hera to deal with).

Nadai

Titormus, a shepherd of Aetolia, called another Hercules on account of his prodigious strength. He was stronger than his contemporary, Milo of Crotona, as he could lift on his shoulders a stone which the Crotonian moved with difficulty.
Aelian V. H.
Herodotus, Book 6
From the Ionian Gulf appeared Amphimnestus, the son of Epistrophus, an Epidamnian; from Aetolia, Males, the brother of that Titormus who excelled all the Greeks in strength, and who wishing to avoid his fellow-men, withdrew himself into the remotest parts of the Aetolian territory.

Titormus

your input helped.

It's pretty much as I thought, Titormus presents himself as a modest recluse, and proves himself to be this way. I guess the trials in his life were too personal to glorify, much like our own. Which make us human.

Thanks again friend.