The role of animals

Goldie

I have always been amazed at the way animals are held in Native American mythology. They really help to guide and lead. I actually love this part of their beliefs. How about you?

Chintai

I agree. In my opinion the amazing instincts and abilities of animals are not recognised often enough in most cultures. Do you have a favorite story from Native American mythology?

indianaj

My knowledge about Native American mythology is kind of lacking, but from what I understand most tribes lived of the land, they were so to speak the first ecoconcius people and this is highly reflected in their beliefs.

Goldie

Actually, no I do not have a favorite individual story and that is mainly because I just really enjoy what they all have to offer. It is a fascinating part of Indian lore.

Bona Dea

I don't know much about Native American mythology, but the idea that animals are held in high regard makes me want to find out more.

I can also understand why they would be important, just seeing how pets react to the smallest of things and can sense when somethings wrong - and we're not as in-tune with them as the Native Americans would have been.

WoodNymph

Native Americans are very attune to nature of all sorts. They are highly respectful of the land, the seasons, the plants as well as the animals. Wouldn't it have been nice if the early settlers had asked for their advice rather than driving them away? Think how much we could have learned from them.

Libros

Part of indigenous peoples' respect for animals comes from their history of heavy reliance on animals for survival. Not only were they food, animals provided clothing, shelter, tools, and guided people to sources of food and water. An abundance of animals ensured a group's own abundance, and generally served to determine where a group would travel seasonally. Animals were so valuable that almost every part of a slain animal could be put to some use and very little was wasted. Naturally, they were also revered as one of the Creator's most sacred gifts to the people.

Indigenous peoples' knowledge of animals did contribute to early settlers' survival. For instance they were taught to make pemmican, better tracking and hunting skills in the new land, and traded their own goods for animal products made by the natives.

Ladyhawk

I've always loved animal myths and stories and have always been fascinated with the way that Native American myths have related each animal to their gods and have had them play such a huge part in their history. My favorite myths have always revolved around coyotes and their cunning. How the coyote stole fire and gave it to the people was one of my all-time favorite myths.

Allie-Gator

Many Native Americans have the young men go on their "totem" quest to find out which animal will represent and guide them during their lives. Several tribes also thank the animals spirit when they kill them for the gift of their life which will sustain the tribe.

Libros

I share your love of the cunning creature stories. Coyote I believe is more prominent in the US. In Western Canada, Raven is the more popular trickster, who stole the Sun, Moon and stars from a greedy chieftain, who had kept them imprisoned in a box in his lodge.