The people of the dawnland

serenity

The People of the Dawnland refer to my ancestors, the Abenaki Indian tribe. I am just beginning to learn about my ancestors, though my Uncle and Aunt have been members of the tribe for years. Right now I am studying about the culture and history of the different confederations of tribes that make up the Abenaki people. It's fascinating stuff! :)

Pegasis

So what have you been learning thus far? I have not heard of this tribe before. Where is the tribe located? I live in the Northwest where there are many native people and tribes, and have been fortunate enough to be invited to a few native ceremonies.

serenity

The Abenaki live in New England, Quebec, and the Canadian Maritimes. Our ancestors are from the Missiquoi people who inhabited Northern Vermont along the Champlain Valley. People are more familiar with our "cousins" the Algonquin, and Abenaki are an Algonquin speaking tribe.

Insights

A short film called "Changeling" retells the history of the American revolution from the Abenaki perspective. Irene Miracle and her efforts to make Changeling formed strong ties with the Abenaki tribe. Her purpose of making this short film was because U.S. government refused to recognize them until recently.

Enertia

I find learning about your Native American ancestory, fascinating. Native American culture is so intriguing, and I think everyone should trace their history back, and be taught about their ancestors. It is really great, that you have someone in your family to learn from. I might have to watch that short film "Changeling", is it also a book? I think I recall a book with the same name, but it might be about something completely different.

Myrddin

I find learning about your Native American ancestory, fascinating. Native American culture is so intriguing, and I think everyone should trace their history back, and be taught about their ancestors. It is really great, that you have someone in your family to learn from. I might have to watch that short film "Changeling", is it also a book? I think I recall a book with the same name, but it might be about something completely different.
I do know that there is a book called Changeling, but I can't quite recollect what it is about.

serenity

A short film called "Changeling" retells the history of the American revolution from the Abenaki perspective. Irene Miracle and her efforts to make Changeling formed strong ties with the Abenaki tribe. Her purpose of making this short film was because U.S. government refused to recognize them until recently.
Yes, it has been an ongoing struggle for recognition. Part of the reason is that most of the Abenaki left the tribe and married with European settlers coming into Canada and New England. They assimilated into western society so effectively that there were few people left to recognize. Vermont only recognized the Abenaki as a tribe in April 2011.