The most popular?

Travis

What is the most popular myth in this modern life? I would say it's the myth about Santa, his sleigh and the reindeer, but some people believe they are real.

RLynn

At least in the western hemisphere, it may be the story of Jesus Christ, who was purportedly 'born of a virgin and rose from the dead', both assertions violating the usual understanding of 'virgin' and 'death' but having metaphorical significance nonetheless.

Travis

That's a good point RLynn, and I think you are right. I was not aware that the story of Jesus Christ could be just a myth. He rising from the dead is not impossible (it's not an uncommon practice among a few great yogis in India), but being born of a virgin?

RLynn

I suppose most Christians would consider it a heresy to call the Virgin Birth a myth, but I think that to insist on the absolute historical accuracy of the Bible is an invitation to overlook its deeper significance. They are picking and choosing what to categorize as 'poetic' and what is 'history' without justification. For example, Song of Solomon is generally considered to be poetic, not literal (a lame attempt to divert its obvious eroticism to spirituality), but the New Testament Gospels are taken to be literal truth in spite of their inconsistencies.

Some might question whether the yogis who seemingly come back to life from death are really dead, or just have their metabolism slowed to the point where they seem dead. However, there are indeed historical instances where people have been officially declared dead and then revived. The song Finnegans Wake (which inspired the James Joyce novel of the same name) is a humorous and highly irreverent celebration of rising from the dead. I love that song!

RLynn

FINNEGAN'S WAKE

Tim Finnegan lived in Walken street
A gentleman Irish, mighty odd
He had a brogue both rich and sweet
And to rise in the world he carried a hod
You see he'd a sort of a tipplin' way
With a love for the liquor he was born
And to send him on his way each day,
He'd a drop of the craythur every morn'

CHORUS:
Whack fol' the dah will ya dance to your partner
Round the floor your trotters shake
Isn't it the truth I told ya?
Lots of fun at Finnegan's wake
One morning Tim was rather full
His head felt heavy which made him shake
He fell off the ladder and he broke his skull
And they carried him home, his corpse to wake
Rolled him up in a nice, clean sheet
laid him out upon the bed
With a bottle of whiskey at his feet
And a barrel of porter at his head

(Repeat Chorus)
Well his friends assembled at the wake
And Mrs. Finnegan called for brunch
Well, first she brought them tea and cake
Then pipes, tobacco, and whiskey punch
Then the Widow Malone began to cry
"such a nice clean corpse did you ever see?"
" Tim, auvreen! Why did you die?"
"Will you hold yer gob?" says Molly McGee'

(Repeat Chorus)
Well, Mary Murphy took up the job
"Oh Biddy," says she, "you're wrong, I'm sure."
Well Biddy fetched her a belt in the gob
And left her sprawling on the floor
Then the war did then engage
'Twas woman to woman and man to man

Shillelagh law was all the rage
And a row and a ruction soon began

(Repeat Chorus)
Well Mickey Maloney ducked his head
When a bottle of whiskey flew at him
It missed, and landing on the bed
The whiskey scattered over Tim
Bedad revives, see how he rises!
Timothy risin' from the bed!
Sayin' "Throwin' your whiskey around like blazes,"
"Thanum an Dhul! do ye think I'm dead?"

(Repeat Chorus)

Goldie

I am one who believes there is nothing mythological about God or Jesus. I certainly won't argue because that's pointless. For me, they are very real. I'd rather discuss the myth of Santa Claus. Then again, I believe in Santa Claus, too, though in a very different way.

DLegend

For me alone, the most popular I think is the evolution. I just can't understand how monkeys became humans. I believe that evolutionist also have great faith in their theories because without having faith in it then the structure of evolution will just crumble.

RLynn

Contrary to popular opinion, to say that something is mythological does not mean that it is a lie. By the way, St. Nicholas was a real person, born in Asia Minor in 280 AD.

DLegend

Monkeys did not become humans.
In a very period of time it did according to what I understand based on evolution. If you prefer apes than monkeys then so be it.

About santa, he is real alright but the story about him is that part that I don't like. I don't know where the story of him living in the north pole and riding on flying on sleighs.

RLynn

In a very period of time it did according to what I understand based on evolution. If you prefer apes than monkeys then so be it.
Evolutionary theory makes a lot of sense to me, but I don't have 'faith' in it. However we came to be, we're human beings, not apes.

DLegend

Evolutionary theory makes a lot of sense to me, but I don't have 'faith' in it. However we came to be, we're human beings, not apes.
I respect your opinion and I won't try to force you to believe what I know.

I would like to know the explanation how we just came to be? Based on what I've seen on documentaries, I thought humans evolved from apes.

Travis

Evolution theory makes a lot of sense to me also. It explains why humans came the last on the earth. So far we are the last and the most developed creatures on this planet, right?