The iliad

Dianna

Helen, the spartan queen of Troy, was the most beautiful woman in the world. Do you think she was the innocent or the guilty? Would she be the Ginger or the Maryanne?

Blaire Calabro

I think she would be innocent, after all it wasn't her fault that she was the most beautiful woman in the world. I think to point the guilty finger at Peleus and Thetis, it was their fault. I can somewhat understand though, why they might not have invited Eris, goddess of Discord in the first place. But if they had invited Eris, the Trojan War would not have happened.

Dianna

Wow, that is a great post and I am inclined to agree with you. Still I do hope we can get the opinion of someone who thinks the other way. Or at least would like to play devils advocate!

terry

I tend to think of Helen as being Paris' co-conspirator. And that's how she appears in my novel, The Rage of Achilles, whose strangely cropped cover is now my avatar. Sorry about the plug. I just found this forum and it looks great.

It's a little bit of both, if you ask me. The whole mess was begun by men, no doubt; of their actions Helen is innocent.
Still, who wouldn't be just a little bit flattered?

By the way, love the Gilligan's Island analogy.

Cassandra

I think Helen knew responsibilities, and really wanted to do the right thing. She just... couldn't. Plain and simple.

DLegend

She's innocent. Men in the old days fight for women. Even in the Bible (I'm a Christian), there are men who would kill for a beautiful woman. David and his son Solomon are just two of these examples.

My point is Helen is really innocent and we must blame the men who fought over her.