The Iliad or "Song of Achilles" first?

Which one first?

• The Iliad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Song of Achilles

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Song of Achilles isn't actually good (pls elaborate if possible)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SoundsGayImIn

I'm already pretty familiar with the story around the Iliad, Achilles and Patroclus but I've never actually read the full story.
Now that I know the book "Song of Achilles" is a thing I've been very interested in reading it, but not sure if it'd be better to actually read the Iliad first?

Any suggestions (also if Song of Achilles is actually good) would be very appreciated!

Song of Achilles is absolutely amazing and is a must read. I actually read it after I read Circe but I loved Madeline Miller's writing style and didn't realize I'd had SoA on my shelf for as long as I did but once I read it? Mindblowing. Her writing style is so elegant and seamless. You truly can't tell what's made up by her and what's true to the myth.

That said, having a basic knowledge of the Iliad is helpful but not required for SoA. Like I said, Miller does a great job of including all aspects of the myths and just takes certain scenes or elements further. For example, in the myths surrounding Achilles, we know basic information of him as a child and how he ended up where he did but Miller creates an entire childhood for him, complete with Patroclus' childhood and their relationship, things they experienced and did, people they knew, etc. I think the novel focuses more on experience, feelings, internal conflict, etc. much more than the Iliad. The Iliad tells you what happens but that's it. It doesn't focus on the more human aspects of life. We know Achilles becomes enraged and out of his mind in the Iliad, but Miller SHOWS you that and her descriptions really make you feel what the characters are feeling.