The darker side of greek myths

Myrddin

Thanks for sharing. The author makes a good point about Zeus. He certainly does have his dark side, which I noticed when I first started reading the stories involving him. There is one thing I think should be perfectly clear though; that Athena did punish Medusa for what was not her fault. In every version of that myth that I have read, it was a punishment for letting it happen. As if Medusa could have prevented it.:rolleyes:

In every version of that myth that I have read, it was a punishment for letting it happen. As if Medusa could have prevented it.:rolleyes:
yeah, poor Medusa. In either way, if she had prevented it maybe Poseidon will be the one to punish her (maybe he could turn her into a fish, or a sea weed, or anything), if she failed to protect herself against the advances of Poseidon, then Athena will punish her (which happens), so, still there's no escape for Medusa.

Caburus

The Greeks themselves were not too pleased with the moral behaviour of their own gods. Rape, murder, theft, deceit, infidelity and jealousy were not seen as desirable attributes. This ambiguity made it easier for Greek philosophers to reject early myths, and for later Christians to show how wrong their worship was.
Early myths say Medusa was punished because she boasted that she was more beautiful than Athena. Later myths say that she was a virgin priestess who had sex with Poseidon in Athena's sanctuary, hence the Goddess's wrath against her broken vow and desecration of the temple. The notion of rape only appears much later, but I agree, when confronted with a powerful god I doubt she had any choice in the matter.
All three Gorgon sisters were monstrous, but Medusa was the only one to bear Poseidon children. So if Medusa was raped, what were her two sister's involvement? Were they already monsters before Athena started to target Medusa? Athena is very active in helping Perseus kill Medusa, but seems to have no animosity against the other sisters.

LegendofJoe

Just like my favorite campy show "Hercules the legendary Journeys" says in the opening..."in a time when the gods were petty and cruel.":)