The crow in greek myths

Ladyhawk

Hi guys, I'm doing a research paper on the ways that crows were portrayed in Greek Mythology and came across one of the more popular stories that I'd like to share. I'll just give you the jist of the story that I found very amusing.

So, Apollo is one of those macho gods who always falls in love with some human woman at some point. He falls in love with Coronis, who is pregnant with his child. Being the suspicious god he is, he sends a crow, then pure-white, to watch over her.

Coronis isn't one of those loyal types, and when she falls in love with someone else, Apollo finds out fast, and boy does he get angry! Angry that the crow didn't peck out this man's eyes, he scorches the bird's feathers black and from then on they represented beings of revenge.

Libros

I like that one!

There's also the story of the constellation Corvus and how it lies in the night sky near Hydra the water snake and Crater the cup. Apollo sent Corvus to a spring with his cup for some water. But Corvus was distracted by some ripening figs, and was very late by the time he returned to Apollo with water. As an excuse, he brought Hydra in his claws and said that she was what had distracted him. Apollo, being the god of light and truth, wasn't fooled. He banished Corvus, Hydra, and Crater to the sky, where they turn forever.

fibi ducks

I once did a class in ancient greek, of which I remember almost nothing, except that they had a phrase -"go feed the crows", which meant - go and die. And I suppose with the added sense that no-one would care enough to bury the person. Very pithy, no?
By the way, I was recently working with a guy who liked to feed the crows outside his workshop window in London, but didn't want to feed the pidgeons. He did find a way. He put biscuits in a saucer, and an empty margarine tub on top to hide them. Then when he went out he showed this to the crow, and put it down on the pavement (its a quiet side street). The crow saw and has understood ever since. But the pidgeons walk right past oblivious.

Isis

Well I guess the myths illustrate the theme that crows are tricky, untrustworthy creatures. Of course some of that may have to do with the tendency of cultures to associate black with death or other negative ideas.