Teaching kids

Isis

If you have kids, do you plan to teach them mythology? How do you think you'll do it?

I want my daughter to learn at least a little mythology and will start reading her fairy tales soon. I imagine there are some good kid's books for Greek/Egyptian/Celtic mythology too.

Helga

That is a great thought Isis, but honestly don't be in a rush. When they start to read on their own, and maybe third or fourth grade would be a perfect time to introduce some mythology. Before that, there is so much for them to explore. Magic, and the thrill of they all lived happily ever after, a time when all things seem real and possible. When they are a little older, it would be the perfect time for them to be introduced to some myths, and it might even help them to enjoy reading.

Isis

Thanks for the advice! My daughter is still very young so I wasn't planning to start immediately anyway, but what you say makes a lot of sense.

VidaDuerme

My first mythology book was D'aulaires' Greek Mythology. It had lots of lovely pictures, and though the myths were edited a bit for content, it was still very accurate. I started reading it around four or five.

Scheherazade's Cat by Amy Zerner also had beautiful illustrations and had ten or twelve myths from around the world, including stories from China, Hawaii, and Japan.

I would also recommend a children's anthology of Aesop's fables, and a collection of Anansi stories. I really enjoyed them as a child, and the variety makes for a wonderful introduction.

magickz

I am thinking once the time comes that the schools start making notes about it and they come home going "Guess what I learned today" if they want to continue onward I will be more than willing to help. Our family is a little different, all three parents (yes three) have different views on what we believe/do not believe, and we are all in agreement that our kids will be able to experience - at their own free will - what they may want to learn about when the time comes (no pushing please). :)

Nadai

I have a three year old son and one year old daughter and I read both of them Greek poetry before bed. They don't know what I'm talking about now, but maybe they'll get a taste for it when they're older.

TheLoreman

Nadai - That's nice. I like that a lot. You just feel that on some level it's entering their minds. I'd like to try that when/if I ever have children.
When my nieces and nephews stay over with me and they ask for a story I tend to tell them greek myths. Sometimes I have to fill in the blanks when my recall fails me. The other fun thing is if they ask you about certain things and you can incorporate the myths into the explanation. As an example my nephew was asking me about dreams once and I went on to explain where the words Phantasm, Morph[eus] and Hypnotize came from. He was fascinated.

Myrddin

When I have children, I'll be reading them Robert Frost as well as select Classical, Norse, and Celtic mythology stories. And certainly some modernized fairy tales.