Serbian mythology

LegendofJoe

I'm almost done reading a book on Serbian myths and legends. It is an area you do not hear much about.

The pre-christian gods they worshipped are pretty much the same as in Russian myths.
Perun was a god of thunder, who is replaced by the modern Elijah. Volos is a cattle god, and Daybog (Russian Dazhbog), is the god of sunlight and plenty.

The Royal Prince Marko is their major hero. Like other heroes, some think he is not dead, but continues to sleep until he will return when he is needed most.

I really also liked the notion of the Vile: nymphs of the forest who can run and fly like the wind, and are sometimes the friends of heroes. But like the greek nymphs they can be dangerous as well.

The folktales in the book have recognizable themes that are found all over the world: evil stepmothers, the mistreatment of the youngest son by his brothers, damsels being taken away by dragons, magical aid to overcome impossible tasks, etc.

Pegasus

It sounds fascinating. Can you please tell us more about the Vile - nymphs of the forest? They seem just like the wind - ever changing. Did they ever betray any character they befriended? Or did they ever come to anyone's aide?

LegendofJoe

Hello Rhonda and Pegasus

The book is called Hero Tales and Legends of the Serbians by Woislav M. Petrovitch. Originally published in 1914.

It says of the Vile: they were eternally young with shimmering golden hair and dressed in the finest gauze.They have sweet voices and are armed with bows and arrows. You should not disturb them when they are dancing (they may harm you), and they are known to come to the aid of heroes. (Like the nymphs who aided Perseus).
They knew all about herb lore. They are clairvoyent and can control the weather.
shapeshifting into snakes and swans is another ability.
An Oossood is a Vila that decides the destiny of newborn infants.
I do not think the book gives any examples of the betrayel of friends by the Vile.