Rainbow crow

Olsen

The myth of Rainbow Crow is pretty much the Native American version of the legend of Prometheus. It's about how fire got on earth, through the means of the crow, who was once the most beautiful bird on the planet, and was chosen to travel to Kijiamuh Ka'ong, "the Creator Who Creates By Thinking What Will Be" and ask for the snow to stop in order for the animals not to freeze to death. He was given fire on a stick to transport back to earth, but during his return voyage the fire burned his feathers, turned him black and the smoke made his voice hoarse.

However, the Creator did offer the crow a reward: "Then the Creator pointed to Rainbow Crow's black feathers. Before his eyes, Rainbow Crow saw the dull feathers become shiny and inside each one, he could see all the colors of the rainbow. «This will remind everyone who sees you of the service you have been to your people,» he said, «and the sacrifice you made that saved them all.»"

This is one of the most profound myths in the Native American culture, in my opinion...

Pegasus

Olsen, thank you for sharing. I have never heard of this story before, and it is really beautiful! We have crows here that are so large, they are the size of chickens. Their feathers are indeed beautiful and prismatic with colors. In observing crows, they are very intellegent, and watchful of their area. I will never look at crows the same way. They are truly noble.

Allie-Gator

Very nice. I enjoy Native American myths. It's amazing what has been saved over the years by telling the young ones over and over. It's the only way to keep myths alive, passing stories to our youngsters. I love to hear them and have tried to remember as many as I can.