Pandora box...

test124

In every version of the famous Pandora's Box myth, it says that she was given that box but not to open it. Now, I am one of those guys that just has to understand things from a logical perspective and I don't see it here. I mean, if the box was not meant to be opened, why was it created in the first place? What is the point of creating something if it's not meant to be used. If it was meant to be opened, well since it contained evil anyway, why not open it or create evil right away... why it needs to be in a box and waiting to be opened. I mean the story is kinda cool, but it's kinda funny from a logical viewpoint. Thanks

Nadai

Zeus gave her the box, I believe, knowing that she would open it. The box, or more so, what was in the box, was meant to be a punishment to humankind Zeus never intended for humans to weild fire because he feared what they would do with it. After Promethius gave humans fire he was chained, as punishment, to a boulder and a bird would come every day and eat his liver and every night, because he was a god, it would grow back. I can't remember who freed him at the moment, but afterwards he and Zeus had somewhat of a truce. I believe that Zeus created Pandora in Athena's image and had each god give her a gift. One of those gifts was the box containing all bad things in the world as well as Hope. She was told not to open the box, but curiosity got the better of her. She opened it, thus releasing its contents, and so Zeus had his revenge against humans who had no control over Promethius' actions in the first place and had no idea that any of that had even transpired in the first place!
...Zeus was kind of a jerk:rolleyes:

Myrddin

After Promethius gave humans fire he was chained, as punishment, to a boulder and a bird would come every day and eat his liver and every night, because he was a god, it would grow back. I can't remember who freed him at the moment, but afterwards he and Zeus had somewhat of a truce.
Hercules was the one who freed him, as something to do with one of his twelve tasks that he had to complete.

test124

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question about the logic here. You only retold the story which I already know. I do understand that even today we can't understand something and the person who invented those stories seems like he didn't go through a logic-check before submitting his work, much like the Bible was written in the same non-logical way.

Nadai

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question about the logic here. You only retold the story which I already know. I do understand that even today we can't understand something and the person who invented those stories seems like he didn't go through a logic-check before submitting his work, much like the Bible was written in the same non-logical way.
:(Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I didn't realize that you already knew the entire story.
I think, though, that there are holes in every myth or legend or religion, even in science. People have their own ideas about the world. For the people who believe in those religions, or myths, or theories, they are completely logical. A person's beliefs are as real and tangible to them as ours are to us. If someone thought their beliefs were illogical then I doubt they would believe in them. So what seems not to make sense to one person is perfectly clear to another.

Isabelle

Perhaps the box was created to hold evil. The box had to be created first before evil could be gathered up and placed inside it, and then was meant to never be opened again. Just my take on the question you asked. :)

Nadai

The evil that was released was meant to be punishment for humans. Zeus intended it to be opened when he created it.
Perhaps it's the same as the Garden of Eden. The Tree of Good and Evil was there, but not meant to be eaten from, but God put it there knowing that Adam and Eve would eat from it anyway. He could have just introduced evil into the world himself, but he wanted humans to have the chance to live without evil. Humans couldn't blame anyone but themselves for their plight because they were the ones who released the evils of the world upon themselves.

Nadai

Is what a restaurant? Don't tell me there's a restaurant called The Crib of Sins. Is there?
Yes. New York, I believe.
...Don't tell me you thought you came up with that all by yourself;) There's no such thing as originality anymore.

test124

Perhaps the box was created to hold evil. The box had to be created first before evil could be gathered up and placed inside it, and then was meant to never be opened again. Just my take on the question you asked. :)
yea well that's the problem here. why create something (a box in this case) if it's NOT MEANT to be opened, like why CREATE IT? What's the point of creating cars if they are not meant to be used, they are used so their creation has a logic. The box was created and not meant to be opened, well why creating it? and if it was meant to be opened, why not then open it yourself instead of waiting, cause it would be opened anyway... is this too hard to understand what I am saying here?

Pegasis

Well, here's another angle. A box's first purpose is to contain something. Evil would have been a really good thing to keep contained. You have to be able to open the box to put something in it.....think about it. :D

Zecora

I always kind of saw a parallel between Pandora's Box and Eve's Apple. They needed SOME explanation for all the evil that came into the world, so might as well pin it on female curiosity.

Oak Leaves

In every version of the famous Pandora's Box myth, it says that she was given that box but not to open it. Now, I am one of those guys that just has to understand things from a logical perspective and I don't see it here. I mean, if the box was not meant to be opened, why was it created in the first place? What is the point of creating something if it's not meant to be used. If it was meant to be opened, well since it contained evil anyway, why not open it or create evil right away... why it needs to be in a box and waiting to be opened. I mean the story is kinda cool, but it's kinda funny from a logical viewpoint. Thanks
Why does God put a tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and dub it the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Why does God tell Adam and Eve they can partake of any tree but this one? Some things are not logical, but they are necessary for the plot.

RLynn

Perhaps God wanted to keep them innocent, like the lower animals, not knowing the difference between good and evil. There was Gnostic speculation that the god who created this imperfect world was a lesser god, the demiurge, who really botched the job. The Serpent did man a favor by enticing Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge.
Oops, I dodged the real issue. Why was the Tree put there in the first place? :confused: I can't imagine.

It is interesting that the Hebrew word for serpent (nachash) can also mean shining one, and, according to gematria (a system of interpretation in the Kaballah), nachash is related to the word messiah by way of numeral equivalence. This suggests a parallel between the Serpent on the Tree of Knowledge and the Messiah on the Tree of Life (the Cross).

Nadai

The Serpent did man a favor by enticing Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge.
Entirely my opinion:
I can't speak for anyone else of course, but if Satan introducing evil, pestilence, famine, disease, homelessness, war, hatred, envy, greed, murder, rape, death, pain, and every other sin and bad thing to the world, was a favor to humanity, I'd rather he'd left us to our own devices to crawl around in the garden blissfully ignorant. I'd trade knowledge for life and peace any day.
But I suppose I'm a bit strange in my thinking. Perhaps all of the homeless people in the world like being that way. Maybe the 30 thousand babies who died in Somalia thought famine was a go0d thing or the 1,500,000 dead Iraqis or the 320 thousand brain-damaged Iraqi veterans think wars are a good idea, we should get them back on the front line.
I guess I'm the only one who prefers ignorance and prosperity to war, disease, and famine.
But as I said...that is only MY OPINION.

RLynn

Satan is not one of the characters in the original Garden of Eden myth of Genesis 3. The nachash (snake) which tempted Eve is also the name of the brazen serpent used by Moses to cure snakebite victims.