Narcissus

Pegasis

Is the myth of Narcissus a Greek myth? This is the story of the young man who never knew what he looked like until he caught a glimpse of himself in a pool of water, and then couldn't stop admiring himself. It's a lesson about how an overactive ego can affect one.

I may be getting some of the details wrong, but I believe Narcissus was in the forest where he was seen by Echo, who fell in love with him; but Echo couldn't speak to him, rather, she could only reply everything that Narcissus spoke. After seeing Echo and refusing her affection, Narcissus chanced upon a pool of water, and began to admire himself; it seems like he soon fell in and drowned, and a narcissus flower sprouted where he was perched.

Myrddin

I may be getting some of the details wrong, but I believe Narcissus was in the forest where he was seen by Echo, who fell in love with him; but Echo couldn't speak to him, rather, she could only reply everything that Narcissus spoke. After seeing Echo and refusing her affection, Narcissus chanced upon a pool of water, and began to admire himself; it seems like he soon fell in and drowned, and a narcissus flower sprouted where he was perched.
Ah, yes, I know that story. It's Greek for sure.

Nadai

Ovid's interpritation, in my opinion is the best. Metamorphosis
Narcissus' mother, after his birth went to the oracle Tiresias. He told her that her son would have and indefinate lifespan as long as he never knew himself. She kept him from ever seeing himself and in time he grew into a beautiful and strong boy. Several women as well as men would throw themselves at him trying to gain his affection, but he always remained disinterested. People would become so intranced by his beauty that when he was near they could see nothing but Narcissus.
One day he was hunting in the woods alone when Echo spotted him. She fell in love with him just like all of the others and, as he always did, he refused her. She chased him and he threatened her and so she went to a cave to sulk. She was so distraught that she sat on a rock in the cave and refused to move. She remained there and eventually her body began to waste away until there was nothing to her but rock and voice.
Meanwhile Narcissus went to rest himself at a nearby spring and when he bent to drink he saw his reflection and fell in love with himself. Apparently Narcissus was all looks and no brain because he didn't realize that the man he was looking at was himself. He began to beckon to his reflection and plead with it that he should become his own lover. Echo didn't make it any easier on him because every time he made an intreaty to himself, she would respond in his voice. When he said, "I love you", Echo said "I love you". And so he knew that his reflection wanted him as much as he did, but feared that something was seperating them, so he prayed to the gods to let them be together. He, like Echo, withered away, but the gods, hearing his pleas, took pity on him and turned him into an equally beautiful flower, the narcissus, that would always grow next to the spring so that he might always see himself...or his beloved.

About Echo, I've read that Hera is the one responsible for Echo's "repetition of words"? Hmm, as far as I remember, Hera punished Echo (don't remember the exact reason but it has something to do with Zeus and his affairs) that's why she's bound to just repeat everything.

Nadai

About Echo, I've read that Hera is the one responsible for Echo's "repetition of words"? Hmm, as far as I remember, Hera punished Echo (don't remember the exact reason but it has something to do with Zeus and his affairs) that's why she's bound to just repeat everything.

Yes it was Hera who punished Echo. I can't remember if this was Powell's version or Ovid's: Echo knew of Zeus' infidelities and Zeus would often times depend on Echo to to keep them secret. Echo would go to Hera and draw her attention, usually with meaningless ramblings and gossip, until Zeus' dirty deeds were done. When Hera finally became hip to Echo's actions she cursed Echo so that the only words she could utter were the last of the words that she heard. There are some variations in the myth concerning how exactly Echo spoke, whether or not she spoke in the person's voice or her own.

EyeofZeus

An interesting idea. You can live forever - like a god - if you don't know yourself. That un- self consciousness is way on the other side of Socrates and "know thyself" Narcissism gets lost in himself, separates from nature.
Early people - the Minoans come to mind were in love with nature in a way and conscious more of the world than themselves I think

BTW Nadai what does
Φως θα λάμψει μέσα στο σκοτάδι mean I can read and speak a little greek but don't know all the words here. Thanks

Nadai

Φως θα λάμψει μέσα στο σκοτάδι
Et lux in tenebris lucet
The light shineth in darkness