Name A Mythological Figure!

Draygonia

Name A Mythological Figure!

This was in part why I signed up! Since this is about mythology, what would this forum be without a mythology figure thread?

Basically, the rules are that you must name a creature/hero/legend, etc from mythology or anything thats basically fictional/non-existent, etc.

I will start out by naming something I believe is from mythology...

========

Pegasus

Honi

Graybeard
Enkidu was a wild man living with the animals until he was tamed by the priestess Shamhat. He became Gilgamesh's close companion. It was the death of Enkidu that sent Gilgamesh on a search for immortality.

A

Aegipan

Aegipan

Fertility god, son of Pan and Aega who helped Zeus defeat Typhoon.

castor

AcadianSidhe;832 said:
Whoa.... do you read Marion Zimmer Bradley?
I have read I think about 10 novels of her. :cool:

I especially like Darkover landfall. Isn't this a phrase("bare is the back....) out of the novel Sword of the Aldones?

More recently in run into the Nordic saga:: Grettir the strong which contains the following phrase:"

Then cried Grettir, "Bare is the back of the brotherless." And Illugi threw his shield over Grettir, and warded him in so stout a wise that all men praised his defence

If you are interested in the text it's now on-line:
Grettir the Strong, Magnusson and Morris tr. index

AcadianSidhe

castor;840 said:
I have read I think about 10 novels of her. :cool:

I especially like Darkover landfall. Isn't this a phrase("bare is the back....) out of the novel Sword of the Aldones?
It was that you just quoted almost exactly how the phrase turns up in her stories over and over. In the Darkover series tons, and a bit in Avalon.

castor

Funny how memory plays trics on you . It seems it made a deeper impression on me than I realized.

What do you think does the type of fantasy stories like the darkover-series rate as modern Mythology?

AcadianSidhe

castor;865 said:
Funny how memory plays trics on you . It seems it made a deeper impression on me than I realized.

What do you think does the type of fantasy stories like the darkover-series rate as modern Mythology?

Honestly, I love the pantheon MZB creates, but I don't really read her books for the mythological aspects. Well, not Darkover, at least. I read them from a largely anthropological point of view. I love how she depicts culture clash and the differences and similarities between different peoples. I also love her attempt to marry science and magic. I tend to look at the Darkover series as more social commentary than modern mythology.

I do really wish someone would come out with a detailed compilation of the Darkover myths and legends- especially the Hastur legend. You can only get so much out of the snippets she gives of the Ballad of Hastur and Cassilda.