Name A Mythological Figure!

Discussion in 'General Mythology' started by Draygonia, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Draygonia

Draygonia New Member

Name A Mythological Figure!

This was in part why I signed up! Since this is about mythology, what would this forum be without a mythology figure thread?

Basically, the rules are that you must name a creature/hero/legend, etc from mythology or anything thats basically fictional/non-existent, etc.

I will start out by naming something I believe is from mythology...

========

Pegasus
  2. vicki2

vicki2 New Member

That's easy for me since I named one of my dogs ...ZEUS.
  3. Melos

Melos New Member

Let's stick with a Greek theme here :) -- Medusa the Gorgon
  4. palefrost

palefrost New Member

Persephone has always been my favorite. I love all the stories about her.
  5. Draygonia

Draygonia New Member

Hades! My favorite greek god :)
  6. jason

jason empty

Admin Post
    Ok, I'll stick with Greek too: Gaia
  7. Draygonia

Draygonia New Member

CHASM! My website revolves around him/her, so i take back my last post :D
  8. htmlmaster

htmlmaster New Member

You mentioned Zeus, so I'll say Hera (I think I'm spelling that right).
  9. Draygonia

Draygonia New Member

Aprodite... or is it aphrodite? I think the first spelling is the most correct.
  10. Honi

Honi Graybeard

Enkidu was a wild man living with the animals until he was tamed by the priestess Shamhat. He became Gilgamesh's close companion. It was the death of Enkidu that sent Gilgamesh on a search for immortality.
  11. Tealight

Tealight New Member

Loki Laufeyjarson.
  12. AcadianSidhe

AcadianSidhe New Member

Inanna

One of my recent faves.
  13. Aegipan

Aegipan New Member

Aegipan

Fertility god, son of Pan and Aega who helped Zeus defeat Typhoon.
  14. castor

castor New Member

bare backed

Pollux.

Why?

Bare is the back without a brother.
  15. AcadianSidhe

AcadianSidhe New Member

Whoa.... do you read Marion Zimmer Bradley?
  16. castor

castor New Member

I have read I think about 10 novels of her. :cool:

I especially like Darkover landfall. Isn't this a phrase("bare is the back....) out of the novel Sword of the Aldones?

More recently in run into the Nordic saga:: Grettir the strong which contains the following phrase:"

Then cried Grettir, "Bare is the back of the brotherless." And Illugi threw his shield over Grettir, and warded him in so stout a wise that all men praised his defence

If you are interested in the text it's now on-line:
    Grettir the Strong, Magnusson and Morris tr. index
  17. AcadianSidhe

AcadianSidhe New Member

It was that you just quoted almost exactly how the phrase turns up in her stories over and over. In the Darkover series tons, and a bit in Avalon.
  18. castor

castor New Member

Funny how memory plays trics on you . It seems it made a deeper impression on me than I realized.

What do you think does the type of fantasy stories like the darkover-series rate as modern Mythology?
  19. AcadianSidhe

AcadianSidhe New Member

Honestly, I love the pantheon MZB creates, but I don't really read her books for the mythological aspects. Well, not Darkover, at least. I read them from a largely anthropological point of view. I love how she depicts culture clash and the differences and similarities between different peoples. I also love her attempt to marry science and magic. I tend to look at the Darkover series as more social commentary than modern mythology.

I do really wish someone would come out with a detailed compilation of the Darkover myths and legends- especially the Hastur legend. You can only get so much out of the snippets she gives of the Ballad of Hastur and Cassilda.
  20. Laurel Tavington

Laurel Tavington New Member

Merlin... the solitary figure that connects ancient Brittan and the Christianized world.