Mary jemison story

justbelieve

I live in Upstate NY and there are many stories around here about Native Americans. There are stories of a "torture tree" where the Indians were supposed to get white men and cut them open and make them run around this tree, untwisting their intestines around the tree (hence the torture tree).

Another story of Mary Jemison and the Indians killing her whole family and taking her to live with them. She did many wonderful things for the Indians and lived out her life with them. She was known as the White woman.

I believe the Mary Jemison story but I'm not sure about the torture tree story.

greekgoddess31

I have visited the home of Mary Jemison and read her story. I am part of a Native American family and there are some great stories that have been passed down for centuries.

justbelieve

Sorry, I didn't really mean to call the store of Mary Jemison a myth. I too have seen her old home (Letchworth State Park) and read her story. I just don't know how much I believe the torture tree stories. I don't know if they are just meant to scare people off.

Allie-Gator

Throughout time, men of all races have come up with unique torture for others. It's as if they compete against each other to make things worse and worse. I remember stories about the English and Scottish fighting and some of the things they did to each other. The Native Americans were very inventive about torture too. It can chill the bones if you read enough of it.