History of your area

Ronnie

Have you ever looked into the history of the area you live in? When I was in elementary school, we had to study the history of our state as well as general history. I think this is a wonderful thing to do and I do wish they still did this. Do you study the history of your area?? I still do.

LegendofJoe

Sounds pretty cool. I live in the Bronx and we are always dumped on.
But there are some interesting things that happened here.

RLynn

Yes, I've studied some the history of the area where I live. It was originally settled by Moravians, who kept scrupulous records.

iheartdragons

I'm pretty new the city that I'm in, but I wouldn't know how to go about it. Would there be information at the local library? I don't know how much I would trust random info on the internet so maybe I should ask at my child's school.

RLynn

I'm pretty new the city that I'm in, but I wouldn't know how to go about it. Would there be information at the local library? I don't know how much I would trust random info on the internet so maybe I should ask at my child's school.
You might try the library. Some of them have an entire section dedicated to local history.

Ronnie

I know our library has a section on town history and genealogy. The library staff also are very helpful in finding what you need. I think it's wonderful that so much history was preserved.

Pegasus

I know of a couple that had people come and knock on their door and ask their permission to be on their property. According to some old map it was believed that part of their property might have housed remnants of an old fort. Closer to home, when neighbors dig, they come up with RR tracks. It was used at the turn of the century when people felled trees for the Southern Pine. Really want to get a metal detector, I am sure there would be something interesting out there just waiting to be found! :)