History channel in name only

Athena

What has happened to the so-called History Channel? Every time I take a look, they are airing some dreadful show like Ice Truckers. It's a mystery as to why they even bother to call it the History Channel anymore.

Nadai

I do hate reality television, but I suppose that, because it's become so popular and such a money-maker for stations, that they've all just decided to jump on the reality-bandwagon. But there is still history on the History Channel. I don't get to watch television very often, but the last time I watched the History Channel was when they aired the new documentary called The Third Reich about Nazi Germany and Hitler's rise to Fuhrer. They'd included a great deal new information that I'd never learned when I study the Holocaust in school-and a few images that were a bit graphic, images that had never been seen before. So I suppose, while the History Channel has fallen victim to reality-madness it hasn't quite gotten away from history.

Athena

My timing must be abysmal and I just happen to catch all of the Junk TV. Last year, the History Channel had a fascinating documentary series called Life After People. I hope they rebroadcast The Third Reich.

I just checked the History Channel's website to see what was airing. Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Ax Men, and Swamp People are their headliners. Maybe I'll get The Third Reich on DVD and save myself the reality grief.

Nadai

My timing must be abysmal and I just happen to catch all of the Junk TV. Last year, the History Channel had a fascinating documentary series called Life After People. I hope they rebroadcast The Third Reich.
I miss "Life After People". That was a pretty great show, but I don't know that they're making another season. I hope they do though, maybe I can DVR it!

LegendofJoe

I enjoyed Life after People also.
But I have been very dissapointed with this channel also as of late.
I have to admit though that Pawn Stars was a master stroke: reality TV and a good deal of American history on one show!

Athena

After looking at their programming schedule, it looks as if the history is during the day with the reality taking over in the evening. Afternoon programming includes a Clash of the Gods "double feature" with Hercules and Thor. Two others I'd like to watch are Journey to 10,000 BC and Ancient Aliens: Chariots, Gods & Beyond.

It looks as if my DVR is going to be busy during the day!

There are a lot of shows on the history channel that don't make sense to me at all. Even some of the "history" shows are full of bogus history. I want to see more real history and more biographies. I think Pawn Stars is interesting enough but it gets annoying when that is the only thing on the channel all day.

greekgoddess31

The History Channel and The Learning Channel are ridiculous, maybe they should consider changing their names. I certainly haven't learned anything from watching the learning channel other than some people let their children act like complete brats.

LegendofJoe

The History Channel and The Learning Channel are ridiculous, maybe they should consider changing their names. I certainly haven't learned anything from watching the learning channel other than some people let their children act like complete brats.
It used to be a good channel.
But they had to sell out I guess because too many people like crapola.

LegendofJoe

Good question.
I think many people just like cheap mindless pleasures
when it comes to TV, even some intelligent people I know.

Myrddin

When I want cheap, mindless pleasures, I watch a sit-com. What they call "reality" shows are just too stupid... for me anyways.

I don't even understand why they still call it 'The Learning Channel'. I get that they may like the initials TLC but they have changed so much of their content. I mean, now they typically show things like Sister Wives and Toddlers and Tiaras. I think there is something to be learned from these lifestyles but these shows focus on the drama, not the learning.

Isis

Both channels, especially TLC, have downgraded in quality considerably, although I must admit a certain weakness for reality TV.

If you want to catch something good on the History channel, try daytime or really late night airings.