Hercules

Artemis

I am getting confused. Isn't Hercules from the Roman mythology with Ares and Hera; and he is Heracles in the Greek mythology with Mars and Juno? Or is it the other way around? Did he have the same trials in the Greek myth as in the Roman myth?

Rhonda Tharp

Yes, Hercules is Roman, Heracles is Greek. Ares and Hera are Greek, Mars and Juno are Roman. (I always remember Roman names are the planets) "Hera"cles - means the Glory of Hera. Hope that helps :)

Artemis

Thank you so much Rhonda Tharp. I will remember that the Roman gods and goddesses are the planets . Thanks for the link too. Did Heracles undergo the same trials as Hercules did?

DLegend

Did the Romans adopted some of the Greek gods and just renamed them? I think Romans are good in adopting other religions and then making them as their own. I don't know for sure but I think Roman Catholic could have been derived from the old gods and were just renamed to saints.

Rhonda Tharp

I had learned that the Romans adopted many of the Greek gods/goddesses. I believe Heracles/Hercules had the same labors. And good point about the saints. I had read several cases where the Romans could not get rid of the local "god/goddess" so they gave them sainthood to keep the peace, so to speak.