Greek mythology figure image

M

mohammad2011

Hi. I have made the image of this Greek Mythology figure myself with Paint.

But I didn't remember her name. Does anyone know who is she in this picture?

fibi ducks

what you have there is Andomeda, chained to rock so that a sea monster can munch on her. Perseus is about to appear and make a deal with her parents that he can marry her if he defeats the monster. unfortunately, although he did defeat the monster, there was some huge fight afterwards, very ugly indeed. maybe others can fill in more details or suggest other possibilities. nice picture though. i can't make out the expresion on her face.

LegendofJoe

I like it.
I actually thought it might be the goddess Hera.
Zeus placed her in chains and suspended her from heaven after she spearheaded a plan to depose him as king of the gods.
She also looks rather regal, like queen Hera.

M

mohammad2011

Are you really sure that she is Andromeda in the picture above?

Royal apparel does not preclude Andromeda—Andromeda was, after all, the daughter of the king of Ethiopia; however, she was also chained to the rock naked.

I still agree with fibi ducks in guessing Andromeda.

fibi ducks

she does look regal. very self possessed. Mohammad could you post any recollections you had about her and the story when you made the drawing?

M

mohammad2011

Yeah. I'm working for another Greek mythology figure images like Artemis, Perseus, Hercules and more. But anyone have an idea to make any image of Greek mythology figure with Paint or any program?

Nadai

what you have there is Andomeda, chained to rock so that a sea monster can munch on her. Perseus is about to appear and make a deal with her parents that he can marry her if he defeats the monster. unfortunately, although he did defeat the monster, there was some huge fight afterwards, very ugly indeed. maybe others can fill in more details or suggest other possibilities. nice picture though. i can't make out the expresion on her face.
Another of Ovid's masterpieces; Metamorphosis of course.
Cassiopeia was the queen of Ethiopia. She constantly boasted that she was more beautiful than the Nyriads. Because of the queen's arrogance Poseidon sent Cetus the sea monster to terrorize the coast of Ethiopia. The King went to the oracle of Apollo to ask what should be done to rectify his wife's crime and he announced that the only way to appease the god of the sea was to offer up the princess as a sacrifice to Cetus. Andromeda was chained naked to a rock and meant to be fed to Cetus or raped depending on the version you read.
Perseus came flying by on Hermes' winged sandals in the nick of time just having seperated Medusa from her head. He told the king and queen that he would destroy the monster if they would give him Andromeda's hand in marriage. They agreed and Perseus defeated the monster. He freed his bride-to-be and was leading her away when the king's brother arrived. He was very angry to find that his brother had given away Andromeda because Andromeda was already promised to him. The king explained that she would have died and the kingdom would have been destroyed had it not been for Perseus so it was a fair trade, but his brother disagreed.
There was a party thrown in Perseus' honor where the king officially gave away his daughter. In walks the brother with his band pretending to be civil, but they end up getting drunk. The brother starts a fight and all of his men target Perseus. Coincidentally Perseus still had the Gorgon's head and after a ridiculously lengthy battle and lots of pages of listing names and how slowly they all died. Finally perseus grows bored and pulls out the Gorgon's head so that all of the brawlers turn to stone, except the brother. Perseus goes after the man, the brother begs and grovels to be spared, Perseus is offended that he is such a coward and turns him to stone as well. I think the king was severely wounded or killed in the fight as well, but I'm not 100%
Andromeda moved away with Perseus to his home where they had several sons and a daughter that they named Gorgophone after the Gorgons that he slew.

RLynn

It's probably Andromeda, but usually she is depicted nude, not all gussied up in formal attire. I don't think it is Hera. Didn't Zeuss attach weights to her ankles to make the suspension more uncomfortable?
Here is Robert Wang's rather crude illustration of Perseus flying down in the nick of time to rescue Andromeda from the sea monster. http://home.windstream.net/rlsaylor/andromeda.jpg
Boris Vallejo's picture of Andromeda and the monster is a bit more refined. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/882547589_981c622f93_z.jpg

M

mohammad2011

Here is another one. This is Perseus.

But sorry, I'm not good enough drawer.

fibi ducks

i like this one too. its strange because if it were the real thing we would be turned to stone by looking at this. that has to make it a good subject for an illustration. Cos there's a sort of thrill in being able to have a look. thanks again Mohammad.

M

mohammad2011

Here is another picture.

Perseus slays Cetus and rescue Andromeda.

fibi ducks

yes, me too. if you don't mind i might print that sometime and out it up.
by the way, i was thinking that where this started off - with the first picture and the question of what it was - well that's one of the situations that Robert Graves gives for the creation of new myths. that is - there's a picture somewhere and no-one knows what it is any more, but a new story emerges to fit the picture - and that's a new story. except that no one thinks its new. i think it makes sense.

fibi ducks

Hi Mohammad, I have something that might interest you. its a program that lets you input a time and date and location on the earth, and it will show you what stars were up above at that point. i thought maybe you could use it for the background of a picture if you know when and where it was supposed to have happened. sadly now i think about it, i suppose we don't have that sort of info for mythological events. anyway i could always dig out the link if you're interested. Best wishes, FD
PS Your Artemis is beautiful.
FD