• Comedy

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Romantic Comedy

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Romance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheLoreman

I'm not sure it's a genre, but I love 50's sci-fi and fantasy films. I guess that's more of an era though. I suppose if there's a good Horror flick out there it draws me in more than most. So I guess it's Horror. John Carpenter in particular.

Myrddin

I'm not sure it's a genre, but I love 50's sci-fi and fantasy films. I guess that's more of an era though. I suppose if there's a good Horror flick out there it draws me in more than most. So I guess it's Horror. John Carpenter in particular.
Do you like the Halloween movies, then?

TheLoreman

The first one sure, that was awesome. The others aren't all that, except one which had a cute actress in it that I had a crush on when I was a kid...
The Fog I love too. It's his ability to create atmosphere. He is like the Horror equivalent of Hitchcock

Myrddin

Hitchcock is good. Love Psycho and Rear Window. I found The Birds okay, but not a whole lot tension or thrills. It seemed to all be saved for the end in that one. Have you seen the Marilyn Monroe movie Don't Bother to Knock?

TheLoreman

No I haven't heard of that one. Is it any good? What's the genre?
In re: to Hitchcock, have you seen Vertigo or North by Northwest? Great films. The Birds is an interesting one two. First time I watched it I was indifferent to it. Then I watched it again and I was captivated by it's design and thereafter everytime I watch it I just relish the atmosphere of it. It's strange and unusual but somehow compelling.

RLynn

I need to see Don't Bother to Knock. Some people think it's Marilyn Monroe's best film.
The finest movie I've seen in the past few years is As It Is in Heaven, a wonderful Swedish drama. It's not really what I would call a tear-jerker, but the exquisite Gabriella's Song near the end makes me give up all self control over eye moisture. It's partly because of the enchanting melody and partly the sub-plot involving the Gabriella character. Damn! I'm tearing up just writing about it. A clip of the song is here. It is performed by the actress/singer who plays Gabriella. It's easy enough to look up the lyrics in English, but to get the full impact one must watch the plot development leading up to it. Like a silly schoolboy I shall forever be in love with that character. The film is subtitled in English.

Myrddin

No I haven't heard of that one. Is it any good? What's the genre?
In re: to Hitchcock, have you seen Vertigo or North by Northwest? Great films. The Birds is an interesting one two. First time I watched it I was indifferent to it. Then I watched it again and I was captivated by it's design and thereafter everytime I watch it I just relish the atmosphere of it. It's strange and unusual but somehow compelling.
Don't Bother To Knock is a suspense in which Marilyn Monroe plays a slightly disturbed woman, very well, as she progresses from coming off as quite normal to very dangerous. Richard Widmark is also in it as well as Anne Bancroft (Mel Brooks's wife).

I have not seen Vertigo or North By Northwest. I really want to. Vertigo has James Stewart in it, right? I know North By Northwest is a Cary Grant one. Which reminds me... Notorious I quite enjoyed (Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Raines). I suppose I should give The Birds another watch; I did enjoy it the first time around.

Myrddin

I need to see Don't Bother to Knock. Some people think it's Marilyn Monroe's best film.
The finest movie I've seen in the past few years is As It Is in Heaven, a wonderful Swedish drama. It's not really what I would call a tear-jerker, but the exquisite Gabriella's Song near the end makes me give up all self control over eye moisture. It's partly because of the enchanting melody and partly the sub-plot involving the Gabriella character. Damn! I'm tearing up just writing about it. A clip of the song is here. It is performed by the actress/singer who plays Gabriella. It's easy enough to look up the lyrics in English, but to get the full impact one must watch the plot development leading up to it. Like a silly schoolboy I shall forever be in love with that character. The film is subtitled in English.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is pretty good too. It's quite amusing adn has some good music including the classic Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend. And both The Seven Year Itch and Monkey Business I really quite enjoy.

As soon as I have the chance, I will have to check As It Is In Heaven out of the library. You got me interested.

RLynn

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is pretty good too. It's quite amusing adn has some good music including the classic Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend. And both The Seven Year Itch and Monkey Business I really quite enjoy......
I saw those on the big screen back in the day. Good flicks!

TheLoreman

Don't Bother To Knock is a suspense in which Marilyn Monroe plays a slightly disturbed woman, very well, as she progresses from coming off as quite normal to very dangerous. Richard Widmark is also in it as well as Anne Bancroft (Mel Brooks's wife).

I have not seen Vertigo or North By Northwest. I really want to. Vertigo has James Stewart in it, right? I know North By Northwest is a Cary Grant one. Which reminds me... Notorious I quite enjoyed (Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Raines). I suppose I should give The Birds another watch; I did enjoy it the first time around.
Ah all good choices. Claude Raines. He was a great actor. You seen the Invisible Man with him? Or of course Casablanca.

Will look out for Don't bother to Knock. By the way. I take it you've seen Some Like it Hot...?

Myrddin

Ah all good choices. Claude Raines. He was a great actor. You seen the Invisible Man with him? Or of course Casablanca.

Will look out for Don't bother to Knock. By the way. I take it you've seen Some Like it Hot...?
I have seen Some Like It Hot. Great Marilyn Monroe film -- Sugar Kane. Saw it when I was a kid.

I have not seen The Invisible Man. I have, however, watched Casablanca a number of times. LOVE Bogie, and besides Ingrid Bergman, its also got Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, and the aforementioned Claude Raines. Other great Bogie movies are The Maltese Falcon (which has got the usual suspects, discluding Bergman and Raines) and Sabrina (along with William Holden and Audrey Hepburn -- LOVE her, like really).

"Here's lookin' at you kid."

Myrddin

I really want to see The Big Sleep with Bogie. I have a few I have not yet watched, but will, including Passage to Marseille, which is another one with the usual suspects (Lorre and Greenstreet), All Through the Night, High Sierra, and They Drive By Night.

TheLoreman

Oh the Big Sleep is ace! It's one of the classic Film Noirs (which I Love) Passage to Marseille is a sort of unofficial follow up to Casablanca and is actually an excellent film, that is terribly underrated. I've not seen All through the night, although just looked this up and sounds compelling! Will have to scout around for that.

Myrddin

Yes, apparently in that one (All Through the Night) all Bogie wants is a piece of cheesecake.

Myrddin

As it should be. What's a movie without a slice of cheesecake? Not really a movie, that's what.