Favorite norse myth?

cherub

Do you have a favorite Norse myth? All the one's I have read are funny and seem so far fetched, but I'm not sure the sources are good.

Pegasus

I have a soft spot for stories about Thor. So many interesting adventures - God of thunder - riding around in a chariot above the skies pulled by two goats - creating the sound we know as thunder and lightning. Also, can't forget about the story of his hammer.

LegendofJoe

Yeah! Thor is pretty cool. It is said by one scholar that while Odin was feared, Thor was loved.
Some occultist writer once compared Thor to Ares. Not really fair. While both gods were associated with war, Thor was relied upon
for the bringing of rain so the crops can grow. So he had a peaceful aspect.
Alas, that shitty movie coming out will probably have little to do with the mythological Thor.
I'm still going to see it though, 'cause that's just the kind of geek I am!

Rhonda Tharp

I recall reading Thor's hammer signified fertility, as well as strength. The Norse would put hammers in their plots of land to mark territories and acreages. After a baby was born, the family would make the symbol of the "hammer" across the baby while in its cradle, and this reminded me of the Catholic gesture of making the "cross" with their hand gestures.

LegendofJoe

I recall reading Thor's hammer signified fertility, as well as strength. The Norse would put hammers in their plots of land to mark territories and acreages. After a baby was born, the family would make the symbol of the "hammer" across the baby while in its cradle, and this reminded me of the Catholic gesture of making the "cross" with their hand gestures.
Yes, that's right.
The hammer was also used to consecrate weddings.
In Brian Branston's book The Lost Gods Of England, he quotes someone
who was struck by lightning (or nearly struck), as feeling like a hammer hit down on him.
Who knows, maybe the ancients felt the same way in describing thunder as a hammer and it
became associated with lightning. Lightning is associated with rainfall, rainfall with fertility, and
thus the hammer with fertility.

Skeptic sister

Favorite myth.... hmmm, Frigga sleeping with the dwarves for her necklace.... it was Freya that was promiscuous, yet Frigga took on Freya's behaviour/traits to secure something she truly truly wanted.

It's a reminder that even the best of us can make choices that seem incongruent at the time, but only because the ulterior motive isn't apparent... and that even Gods and Goddesses will go to amazing lengths to secure the things they want!

LegendofJoe

I never heard that version.
Freya is the owner of the necklace Brisingamen. And she slept with
the dwarves herself to get it.

Skeptic sister

LegendofJoe, I'm sorry, but there's more than one source that claims Frigga and Freya were in fact confused and mixed up in that tale, that it was in fact Frigga that owned the necklace....

I'll see if I can find a link. I've read several authors' arguements for the confusion factor, and it stands to reason, as near as I can tell. :)

Rhonda Tharp

Favorite Norse myth... being a fan of the trickster I would have to say the myths with Loki - Sleipnir, Sif and Thor, Idunna's Golden Apples and death of Balder.

LegendofJoe

LegendofJoe, I'm sorry, but there's more than one source that claims Frigga and Freya were in fact confused and mixed up in that tale, that it was in fact Frigga that owned the necklace....

I'll see if I can find a link. I've read several authors' arguements for the confusion factor, and it stands to reason, as near as I can tell. :)
Hi Skeptic sister
I took a look at my copies of both the Poetic Edda and the Prose Edda and they both list Freya as the owner of Brisingamen.
However, in the Prose Edda it states that Freya is not only as highly regarded as Frigga, but that she has a lover named Od.
When Od is away on his travels she cries tears of gold. Scholars believe that Od is none other than Odin.
So I can understand why, maybe for other reasons as well, why commentators would find strong links between Freya and Frigga.
I'll do a little more digging, and if you can find that link that would be great.

Skeptic sister

It's something I read in a book, and because I've read so many at this point, I can't remember WHICH book I read it in... I'm pretty sure that it was an encyclopedia of norse mythology that I had out from the library, and I was actually up to the library to see if I could lay my hands on it (nope).

I seem to recall said book also argued that Freya was merely an 'aspect' of Frigga, and didn't become a separate 'being' until later in the mythological time line.

"Brain candy".

Loki's how he cut off Sif's hair! classic! i love Loki and hate vain people (no offense is meant) so.. yeah explains why I hate Baldur

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's deaths. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film