Dragons

jason

empty
Dragons

Many cultures all over the world have tales and legends of dragons. Do you think that it is possible dragons to have existed? How did all these cultures come with up with dragons if they didn't exist?

DJDizzy1

Interesting question it would be great if they did. Most of my favorite fairy tales involved dragons. Good point though because most fairy tales involve real animals so why would they make up the dragon?

I for one am still rooting for a unicorn.:p

Melos

I love dragons. I think they are just fabulous beasts - in all their mythly incarnations. However, I really don't think they were truly real animals. There is no scientific evidence - not only of dragons themselves, but of any six-limbed creatures (other than insects). Besides, dragons span a huge scope of physical appearance.

jason

empty
Melos;12 said:
I love dragons. I think they are just fabulous beasts - in all their mythly incarnations. However, I really don't think they were truly real animals. There is no scientific evidence - not only of dragons themselves, but of any six-limbed creatures (other than insects). Besides, dragons span a huge scope of physical appearance.
That is true about the scientific data. But there have been tales before of creatures that science said didn't exist, until they stumbled upon them one day. They are still finding new dinosours. They have found stuff like the Giant Squid which was thought to be a thing of tall stories. Another great example is for many of years people thought Troy was just part of Homers imagination, until it was found.

I wonder if it is a matter of time until science may stumble upon the bones of one. I wonder how it would change the way history is viewed.

doodlebug

Dragons are rather fascinating. It is possible, like many other elements of myths and legends, dragons are based on a real animal or possibly insects but expanded on to make larger than life. Let's face it, these stories would be rather ho-hum if they were mere documentaries of life at the time. Something had to be added to make them memorable, exciting, and worth telling over and over without putting the audience to sleep.

LilOne1989

That would be so wild to find proof they existed. But I'm sure they are just one more way that early civizations used stores to explain things that either they couldn't or didn't want to explain otherwise.

tater03

I collect dragons. I would love for them to find actual proof that they existed. I think they are awesome creatures.

Melos

Hey - I'd definately love it if they found evidence too! However, I still doubt it. Dragons were even popular players in stories up to medieval and renaissance times. That is not that long ago to have actually found some evidence.

jak80

I really think that Dragons were just made up creatures from long ago. I am wondering if people passed down experiences with some kind of dinosaur like things that were then made into dragons. I would love to think that they were real, but it just doesn't seem likely.

DJDizzy1

Most dragons from stories I have read are huge creatures. Something like that walking around you think somebody would see, especially if they were flying. Plus if they breathed fire it would be kind of easy to track down.

palefrost

I think in prehistoric times a creature like it could have existed. Although i dont know about the breathing fire part. I bet it could have screamed or something else out of the mouth though..lol.

Plumley

I don't think dragons ever existed but it's kind of a shame if they didn't. Of course, I can say that, since there's no huge, fierce, fire breathing animal gobbling up my flocks. Imagine if you had to actually co-exist with dragons!

LilOne1989

Can you imagine what would happen if they actually found a skeleton/fossil of a dragon. That would be totally insane I would really like to see that, know it won't happen but you can always dream.

Plumley

LilOne1989;144 said:
Can you imagine what would happen if they actually found a skeleton/fossil of a dragon.
Has anyone seen the television program about just that? It was done in the form of a documentary, as though a skeleton really had been found. There were reconstructions and experts with theories and everything, just as if it had actually happened. Very interesting.

Melos

I saw that documentary - on the Discovery channel. It was really well done and, while some of the ideas were a bit far-fetched, it was neat to see how they could have existed. Lots of people thought it was real though.

Starlily

I have a wonderful children's book called 'Dragon', that we read as a favorite bedtime story when the children were younger... I also find it interesting that so many cultures had the same creatures, in slightly different variations... like dragons and unicorns... even though they were imagined to look quite different, depending on which type of the world the stories were from, there were still similarities. I think it is quite possible that they were based on early creatures (possibly dinosaurs or lizards) that were then enlarged for fireside stories, which were an important part of life back in the days before all of our modern entertainments.

jason

empty
Plumley;171 said:
Has anyone seen the television program about just that? It was done in the form of a documentary, as though a skeleton really had been found. There were reconstructions and experts with theories and everything, just as if it had actually happened. Very interesting.
I saw that too. Very well done I thought. Some of the things they said may be alittle extreme, but it really made it seem real.

htmlmaster

Well, they definitely don't exist. However, I remember hearing somewhere that it makes sense that so many civilizations have them in legends. Dragons have to do with primitive humans' form of fear. The main human-killers back in the old days were birds, snakes, and giant cats. Put them all together, add some fire (which humans obviously thought was divine), and you get a dragon.

rubybeetle

I missed this documentry, hopefully they'll show it again it sounds interesting. I love dragons, especially water and fire dragons. I'll believe they were real, just to keep the magic going.... :)

TSA

I wish I would've caught this particular documentary as well. But dealing with the subject of whether they were real or not...I agree with Palefrost. There might have been an unknown dinosaur that might have resembled one (minus the wings of course)...But wasn't actually one.

The legend/myth of the dragon obviously was inspired in some way by another creature.