Diwrnod santes dwynwen hapus i pawb!

NothingToFear

Diwrnod Santes Dwynwen Hapus i pawb! Or happy Saint Diwrnod day in English.

Today is the Welsh St. Valentine's day. Legend has it that a girl called Dwynwen fell in love with a man called Maelon. Their relationship was frowned upon, banned by her father. She was instead betrothed in marriage to another man that she did not like.

She prayed to God for help, and he froze Maelon. But she was granted three wishes, and one was that he be saved. She wished too to never marry and I believe that she became a nun. But she wished too that all true lovers be protected-and it was this that led to her becoming the Saint of Welsh lovers. So tell the one you love 'Rwy'n dy garu di' (I love you) today, in honor of this woeful love legend!

LegendofJoe

Diwrnod Santes Dwynwen Hapus i pawb! Or happy Saint Diwrnod day in English.

Today is the Welsh St. Valentine's day. Legend has it that a girl called Dwynwen fell in love with a man called Maelon. Their relationship was frowned upon, banned by her father. She was instead betrothed in marriage to another man that she did not like.

She prayed to God for help, and he froze Maelon. But she was granted three wishes, and one was that he be saved. She wished too to never marry and I believe that she became a nun. But she wished too that all true lovers be protected-and it was this that led to her becoming the Saint of Welsh lovers. So tell the one you love 'Rwy'n dy garu di' (I love you) today, in honor of this woeful love legend!
The "w" is oo and the "y" sounds like u correct?

NothingToFear

It depends on the usage I'm afraid, it's not that easy! For instance, Dwynwen is pronounced Dwin when. Welsh doesn't share the English alphabet, there are more letters and groupings and tense can change the pronunciation.

Isis

I'd love to tell my husband I love him in Welsh, but I do not understand pronunciation at all. I'd just butcher it, I'm afraid, so I guess I'll stick with English, French, and Spanish.