Disney vs the true tales

jason

empty
Disney vs the true tales

Have you ever read the real fairy tales and not the ones that Disney has re-created?

jak80

I have read the original version of Cinderella. The basic premis is the same except of course that the disney version is a little more on the 'happy', 'childlike' side.

doodlebug

I took a children's literature class in college and we read a number of different versions of the the Disney fairy tales (as well as many others that Disney would never touch). Disney made them much more child friendly. They were originally created to teach children about life, growing up, and instill basic moral values in them in a way they would never forget. may of them involve children being eaten if they make the wrong choice.

Maggielle

Nothing fires me up more than the way Disney feels the need to pretty up legends, myths, and fairytales. Where do you think our children will be when they have to learn the truth behind Pocahontas. I just feel that these stories were created and live on to teach us about life and history. If we change them to get ratings what will future generations be left with? A bunch of DVD's?

LilOne1989

I have read both the versions and I really don't have much of an opinion of either. They are both stories and they both have good points and bad points.

doodlebug

I think Disney is in a league of it's own. The original fairy tales were not even written down, just passed down orally from generation to generation way before the movies. So then Disney comes along and tries to put these ancient tales on the big screen and some things just don't work. It makes sense to alter the stories when the format is being altered as well.

It's like comparing apples and oranges...there's no better or worse, they're just different.

vicki2

I agree that it's basically apples and oranges. Disney used the fairy tales as the basis for entertainment not as the moral stories the tales were originally meant to be.

That said, I'm glad I was read or read the stories as a child before I saw the movies.

TinyStar

I think it's very amazing to see the differences between the Disney vs. Original. Like Snow White? Cinderella? The original tales are all so bloody and morbid it's amazing.

Slashmire

Yes, even though I'm not a fan of the "recreating while leaving elements out," I can't complain to Disney for what they did as well as what they didn't do :\

Pamil Visions

Maggielle;140 said:
Nothing fires me up more than the way Disney feels the need to pretty up legends, myths, and fairytales. Where do you think our children will be when they have to learn the truth behind Pocahontas. I just feel that these stories were created and live on to teach us about life and history. If we change them to get ratings what will future generations be left with? A bunch of DVD's?
The Little Mermaid is not pretty at all either! You are so right! But I guess... there's so much sadness in our world. Disney is about bringing some joy, don't you think?

Slashmire

It's like telling kids how babies are made when they are 5 years old; would you go in details, if your little infant asked you the question?

I don't think there's anything to lie about, but just prettying up the thing. If kids cartoon were that depressing (as in the true real story) then I really don't think that it would serve much purpose.

kelkat

I almost hate to admit this. I cried to the point of needing to walk out of the theater when I saw Disney's "The Little Mermaid." I grew up reading the book, so I knew she was going to sacrifice herself for love. Boy was I wrong - and I looked pretty foolish as well.

GloryB

Maggielle;140 said:
Where do you think our children will be when they have to learn the truth behind Pocahontas.
I'm a huge Disney fan who loves their retelling of the fairy tales. But the story of Pocahantas is a piece of American history. I do not like what they did with that story. They have misguided a generation of children with regards to John Smith and his 13 year old bride he forced to go to England where she died from a disease her tribe would never have encountered had the Europeans not invaded.

GloryB

Melos

Pocahantas is the one I have a problem with as well. I remember right after seeing it with my kids, I went and pulled out our history through the ages story book and read the real story of Pocahantas to them. And we had a nice discussion about how, sometimes, stories about real people are just as made up as any other tale.

doodlebug

True. It is one thing to alter a fictional story and completely another to alter historical facts. Facts should not be tampered with. If the story is not appropriate for younger viewers, then it should not be marketed at children.

Rohan

I really think that disney is destroying the writers real works. They are making good ideas bad.

Slashmire

Well do not lose hope; the way I see it, is that even if Disney is making stories end happily ever after, it may spark enough interest for a viewer to search the original work, something that he would not have done.

harleysneak

I think there's nothing wrong with Disney doing this. As they were before, they weren't very fit for children. Also, if you read any book and then watch the movie, they are usually very different.

LyricB

I guess that's the point when a parent should tell their kids, "Hey, that was an interesting adaptation to the story. Would you like to hear how it really went?"

Tsukihime

I never was a Disney fan, but I did watch a couple or so of their stupid movies. Really, they only cater to silly little girls who dream of their Prince Charming and getting through life with the help of fairies and such.

And neither am I a fan of fairy tales, but I did enjoy reading some of Grimms' and Andersen's stories. I'm actually very fond of 'The Little Mermaid" and I was aghast when I watched the Disney film, turning the tragic ending into something nice and beautiful. But that's just me, coz I prefer sad and tragic endings.