Chocolate and dogs

Discussion in 'Urban Legends' started by Myrddin, May 8, 2013.


Fact or Urban Legend: chocolate poisonous to dogs?

  1. Fact

    2 vote(s)
  2. Urban Legend

    0 vote(s)
  1. Myrddin

    Myrddin Well-Known Member

    Everyone always says that chocolate is poison to dogs, but from what I can tell this doesn't seem to be true. I know a dog who got a good hunk of a fudgeo cookie everytime he came at the end of every walk, and he lived to be 15. And my own dog gets the odd bit of chocolate, and she's 13 and still perfectly healthy. So what do you think, Urban Legend? Or not?

    E. M.
  2. Nadai

    Nadai Active Member

    That's a good question. I've always considered it fact. I don't let Nyx get anywhere near chocolate. Then again, I don't let her eat any people food. I've always heard, though, that chocolate can give dogs worms. It could be an urban legend, but I'd rather not risk it.
  3. Myrddin

    Myrddin Well-Known Member

    Chocolate I think is probably bad for some dogs, but certainly it seems not so for Jack Russells. A dog of my aunt's once, though, got into a whole box of chocolates and, of course, later was quite sick. It was a whole box, though. That would make anyone sick.

    Some people food is okay for dogs. Like carrots or apple. Yogurt, plain. Yogurt can actually help them feel better if they're under the weather. I heard this from my dog's vet.

    E. M.
  4. Nadai

    Nadai Active Member

    I know some people who feed their dogs people food as opposed to dog food. Like baked chicken without seasoning or turkey or whatever else. Some fruit, bread, but I just prefer to feed her dog food. That way I know she's getting everything she needs and nothing she shouldn't have.
    Myrddin likes this.
  5. Myrddin

    Myrddin Well-Known Member

    Good for you! That really is the way to go. I just can't help but give my dog a little extra something. She's just too cute! And she doesn't actually beg - not usually anyway. She just sits there looking hopeful. She's such a good dog - most of the time. ;)

    E. M.
    Nadai likes this.
  6. Misa

    Misa Member

    It depends on the coloring/what kind of chocolate as well.

    "Chocolate can contain high amounts of fat and caffeine-like stimulants known as methylxanthines. If ingested in significant amounts, chocolate can potentially produce clinical effects in dogs ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases.

    Typically, the darker the chocolate, the higher the potential for clinical problems from methylxanthine poisoning. White chocolate has the lowest methylxanthine content, while baking chocolate contains the highest. As as little as 4 ounces of milk chocolate—or only 0.5 oz of baking chocolate—can cause serious problems in a 10-pound dog. While white chocolate may not have the same potential as darker forms to cause a methylxanthine poisoning, the high fat content of lighter chocolates could still lead to vomiting and diarrhea, as well as the possible development of life-threatening pancreatitis, an inflammatory condition of the pancreas."-

Share This Page