Changing the words

greekgoddess31

I was listening to the radio on my way to work this morning and it was talking about a local school district Christmas program where they changed the words to Deck the Halls from "now we don our gay apparel" to "now we don our bright apparel" because the kids couldn't keep from giggling over the word gay. What do you think?

What silliness. I understand the children may just understand the modern usage of the word, but they also need to be taught the traditional usage of the word. I remember many years ago when I learned my mother's name was Fay which was the same term given to the Faire Folk. I thought it was quite interesting.

greekgoddess31

I think it is completely silly as well, Owl. They should just take the time to teach kids what the words REALLY mean instead of bowing to the connotations.

WinterWitch

It sounds like the school district is missing an opportunity to teach the children that words can have different meanings. I agree that it is silly to change the lyrics simply because children are giggling. Maybe they can go one step further and just have them sing the Welsh version instead. It starts with "cold is the man who can't love." The lyrics in that version would give the children something real to laugh about!

RLynn

I can't help but smile a bit when I try to visualize what 'gay apparel' might connote, but this is in no way derisive of homosexuality.

jerri

They brought up this story on The Talk and it was aimed towards educating kids but all I could think about was how hard it is to discipline kids to sing all together and how hard it must be to have them always giggling. (The Talk didn't mention that's why they were doing it.)

magickz

I see no point in this really and while I am not "religious" I am upset that parents as well as teachers are not teaching the kids that words do have different meanings. Its very simple, either they say it right or they giggle. If they giggle and disrupt the classroom/school/audience they are reprimanded.

Isabelle

I think they should have left the words the way they were. The same way they have been for how old is that song now? The educators at the school should be ashamed for missing an opportunity to do what they are paid for...educating!

Rhonda Tharp

I can tell my 8th graders the "original" or "former" meaning of words all day, but unfortunately, I can't always compete with a room full of immature 14 year olds seeking ANY kind of attention from others.

LegendofJoe

I think that's the rub. The old happy meaning of "gay" has long since been dead and buried.
Twenty feet under.
With a tombstone...and a white flag.
Not even a flower.:rolleyes:

Setharoth

Language evolves. While I deplore the political correctness that seems to have sparked the change, it's a fact that nobody uses the word gay to mean light-hearted anymore. I don't see the big deal here.