Aesop's Fables

LilOne1989

Aesop's Fables

I didn't know anything really about these as a child but when I got older I started to see them with my children and really started to enjoy them and their meanings. Has anyone here read them or seen the shows on television that are based on their teachings?

doodlebug

You are probably more familiar with a lot of them than you think. I remember seeing a number of them on various children's programs and cartoons growing up. And they are usually part of elementary school reading curriculum. Did you grow up in America?

LilOne1989

You are right I probably did but just never had then announced as being Aesop's Fables rather they were just stories and cartoons that I read. I didn't honestly know about the "Aesop's Fables" being just that until after my children were old enough to learn about them. Many of the saying were familiar to me I just didn't know the whole story behind them.

Slashmire

Yes I remember some of them. I also believe that when we were young we had the "Fable de Lafontaine" which I believe he took from Aesop.

doodlebug

They really are quite common. I've even seen TV commercials based on them. Anytime a story comes right out and states, "And the moral of the story is..." it's most likely from Aesop. I think all cultures have stories that are somewhat similar to Aesops. The morals are the same but the details are changed to make them more culturally relevant.

TinyStar

Aesop's Fables are lovely, I remember reading them when I was a kid :)
But yes, almost all basic morality stories can trace back in some manner to an Aesop story.

jason

empty
I think a lot of people know of them, although they might not know them by who wrote them. They are some great stories, and I hear them referenced a lot. Especially at work, The Tortoise and the Hair are used often.